Suffolk County Routes 051-075

East-Moriches-Riverhead Road, Center Drive South

LOCATION: Riverhead to East Moriches
STATUS: Four-lane divided highway (signed)
NOTES: Before 1973, CR 51 was assigned to Lake Avenue (now CR 63), while Center Drive South (then under construction) was part of CR 94A.

Sandy Hollow Road

LOCATION: Tuckahoe (Southampton)
STATUS: Two-lane road (signed)

NO LONGER ASSIGNED
(Clinton Avenue)

LOCATION: Bay Shore
NOTES: The CR 53 designation was given to the one-way Clinton Avenue until 1973. This road, which carries southbound traffic from Fifth Avenue (CR 13), later became CR 13A.

Hulse Landing Road

LOCATION: Calverton to Wading River
STATUS: Two-lane road (signed)
NOTES: In the 1930's and 1940's, Hulse Landing Road was designated NY 254.

Eastport Manor Road

LOCATION: Eastport to Manorville
STATUS: Two-lane road (signed)
NOTES: Before CR 111 was completed in 1975, CR 55 continued northwest into downtown Manorville as "Eastport Manor Road." The original signs (circa 1970) for EXIT 70 on the LIE read "Eastport Manor Road." According to the 1998 Hagstrom Suffolk County Atlas, the CR 55 designation was extended north along Halsey Manor Road in Manorville.

Victory Avenue

LOCATION: Brookhaven to Shirley
STATUS: Two-lane road (unsigned)
NOTES: The original CR 56 designation was given for the entire length of Horse Block Road from Centereach to Brookhaven. The Centereach-to-Farmingville section (which is maintained by the Town of Brookhaven) had its designation removed in 1973. At that time, the Farmingville-to-Brookhaven section had its designation changed to CR 16.

Bay Shore Road, Howells Road, Third Avenue

LOCATION: Deer Park to Bay Shore
STATUS: Two-to-four lane road (signed)
NOTES: In the 1960's, Third Avenue south of Howells Road was designated as CR 57A. There was a CR 57B spur for Third Avenue north of Howells Road.

NO LONGER ASSIGNED
(Third Avenue)

LOCATION: Bay Shore
NOTES: This 1960's-era designation applied to Third Avenue south of Howells Road (CR 57).

NO LONGER ASSIGNED
(Third Avenue)

LOCATION: Bay Shore
NOTES: This 1960's-era designation applied to Third Avenue north of Howells Road (CR 57).

Old Country Road

LOCATION: Riverhead
STATUS: Two-to-four lane, undivided road (signed)
NOTES: For better or worse, CR 58 serves as a bypass for downtown Riverhead. However, with the explosion of commercial development along this route, another bypass -- specifically, an extension of the Long Island Expressway (I-495) to Mattituck -- may be necessary.

Newtown Lane, Long Lane

LOCATION: Easthampton
STATUS: Two-to-four lane road (unsigned)
NOTES: Between the 1940's and the 1980's, maps showed a proposed extension of Long Lane (CR 59) to NY 114, just before Long Lane becomes Two Holes Water Road (which carries no designation) in Hardscrabble.

Long and Short Beach Highway, Short Beach Road

LOCATION: Noyack to North Haven
STATUS: Two-lane road (signed)

Waverly Avenue

LOCATION: Farmingville to North Patchogue
STATUS: Two-lane road (unsigned)
NOTES: The CR 61 designation on this route, most of which is maintained by Brookhaven and Islip towns, is the remaining two-lane, north-south segment of Waverly Avenue that is not part of CR 19. Until the early 1970's, this segment of Waverly Avenue was designated as CR 19A. (The original CR 61, Canal Road and Old North Highway near Shinnecock Canal, is now CR 39B.)

Newtown Road, Sunset Avenue

LOCATION: Canoe Place
STATUS: Two-lane road (unsigned)
NOTES: This route dead-ends on the west side of the Shinnecock Canal.

Lake Avenue

LOCATION: Riverhead
STATUS: Two-lane road (signed)
NOTES: Until 1973, Lake Avenue was part of CR 51.

Coram-Yaphank (Mill) Road, Bellport Road, Station Road

LOCATION: Coram to Bellport
STATUS: Two-lane road (unsigned)
NOTES: This route, on which the designation first appeared in 1998, is maintained by the Town of Brookhaven. (In the 1960's, the CR 64 designation went to Dunes Road near Meschutt Park, at the Shinnecock Canal.)

Middle Road, Atlantic Avenue, Weeks Street, River Avenue, Division Street

LOCATION: Sayville to Patchogue
STATUS: Two-lane road (signed)
NOTES: The first block of CR 65-Middle Road in Sayville is a one-lane, one-way streeet. This configuration was done to ease traffic congestion in the downtown Sayville (five corners) area.

Deer Park Road East

LOCATION: Dix Hills to Elwood
STATUS: Two-to four lane road (signed)
NOTES: This east wye off the Deer Park Avenue split in Dix Hills was designated CR 35B until 1972.

Half Hollow Road, (Vanderbilt) Motor Parkway

LOCATION: Melville to Ronkonkoma
STATUS: Two-to-four lane, undivided road (signed)
NOTES: Built between 1904 and 1907, the Long Island Motor Parkway was the first limited-access ("super 2") route in the world. The route once extended all the way west to Flushing, Queens. According to promotional literature, Motor Parkway was proposed east from Ronkonkoma to Riverhead, but was never completed. Although it is no longer a limited-access road (it hasn't been since 1938), CR 67-Motor Parkway serves as an important, east-west relief corridor in western Suffolk. Even today, there are still vestiges of the original Motor Parkway in parts of Nassau and Queens.

NO LONGER ASSIGNED
(Half Hollow Road)

LOCATION: Melville to Dix Hills
NOTES: In the 1960's, the CR 67A designation was given to Half Hollow Road, making it a spur of CR 67 at the (revised) western end of Vanderbilt Motor Parkway. This section of Half Hollow Road became CR 67 in 1973.

Main Street, Christian Avenue, Bailey Hollow Road, Ridgeway Avenue

LOCATION: Stony Brook to Setauket
STATUS: Two-lane road (unsigned)
NOTES: This route is maintained by the Town of Brookhaven.

Cartwright Road

LOCATION: Shelter Island
STATUS: Two-lane road (unsigned)

Old West Lake Drive

LOCATION: Montauk
STATUS: Two-lane road (unsigned)
NOTES: This route is maintained by the Town of East Hampton. In the 1960's, this road was designated CR 77B.

Old Country Road, Mill Road, Beach Lane

LOCATION: Eastport to Westhampton Beach
STATUS: Two-lane road (signed)
NOTES: Before 1973, Mill Road and Beach Lane were designated CR 100. Also, part of CR 71-Mill Road was part of the original right-of-way for the unbuilt eastern portion of CR 111 (Port Jefferson-Westhampton Road).

NO LONGER ASSIGNED
(Atlantic Avenue)

LOCATION: East Moriches
NOTES: Until 1973, CR 72 was assigned to Atlantic Avenue in East Moriches. This cul-de-sac from Montauk Highway leads to the US Coast Guard Station at East Moriches.

Roanoke Avenue

LOCATION: Riverhead
STATUS: Two-lane road (signed)

NO LONGER ASSIGNED
(Roanoke Avenue)

LOCATION: Riverhead
NOTES: In the 1960's, the CR 73A designation was given to the segment of Roanoke Avenue north of CR 58 (Old Country Road). This segment became part of CR 73 in 1973.

Abrams Landing Road

LOCATION: Amagansett
STATUS: Two-lane road (unsigned)
NOTE: This route, which dead-ends at the Devon Yacht Club, is maintained by the Town of East Hampton.

Fire Island Beach Road

LOCATION: Fire Island (Smith Point)
STATUS: Four-lane divided highway (signed)
NOTES: CR 75 connects traffic from CR 46-William Floyd Parkway to the Smith Point County Park parking field.

SUFFOLK COUNTY ROADS:

Suffolk County route shields by Ralph Herman. Primary information provided by Hagstrom Suffolk County Atlas, as well as by the Suffolk County Planning Department.

Google
 
Web nycroads.com