State Roads on Long Island

WESTERN NY 24
(Hempstead Turnpike, Fulton Street, Conklin Street)

LOCATION: Queens-Nassau border to East Farmingdale (at NY 110)
NOTES: Before 1941, NY 24 ran uninterrupted from New York City to Hampton Bays. NY 24 went along its present route on Hempstead Turnpike and Conklin Street, then continued east along the LIRR corridor to Manorville. (It went along Long Island Avenue east to Brentwood, Suffolk Avenue east to Islandia, Johnson Avenue east to Ronkonkoma, Union Avenue east to Holtsville, Long Island Avenue east to Yaphank, Moriches-Middle Island Road to Manorville, Weeks Avenue-South Street-Hot Water Street through Manorville, and the current route of CR 51 to Riverhead. At Riverhead, NY 24 then continued along its present "eastern route." With the onset of World War II, the route of NY 24 in Suffolk County was interrupted due to security concerns. Specifically, the Fairchild Republic plant in East Farmingdale and the Grumman Naval Defense Weapons Plant in Calverton had been constructed along the route. Later, between 1958 and 1962, the NY 24 designation was used for the Long Island Expressway east of the Clearview Expressway.

EASTERN NY 24
(Nugent Drive, Flanders Road, Riverhead-Hampton Bays Road)

LOCATION: Calverton (at I-495, EXIT 71) to Hampton Bays (at NY 27A-CR 80)
NOTES: Between Riverhead and Hampton Bays, the two-lane NY 24 is part of the original pre-1941 uninterrupted, NYC-to-Hampton Bays route. While the western section of NY 24 is marked as an east-west road, the eastern section of NY 24 is marked as a north-south road. The segment between Calverton and Riverhead, a four-lane divided highway co-signed with CR 94 in its entirety, was completed around 1970.

NO LONGER ASSIGNED
(Hempstead Turnpike, Fulton Street, Conklin Street)

LOCATION: Queens-Nassau border to East Farmingdale (at NY 110)
NOTES: This was the short-lived designation for Hempstead Turnpike used between 1958 and 1962. During those years, the NY 24 designation was given to the Long Island Expressway. Once the LIE in Nassau and Suffolk counties was redesignated NY 495 in 1962, Hempstead Turnpike became NY 24 once again, and the NY 24A designation was dropped in Nassau and Suffolk counties.

Jericho Turnpike, Middle Country Road, Main Road

LOCATION: Queens-Nassau border to Orient Point (at New London ferry)
NOTES: With the exception of a small segment in Smithtown and Saint James, NY 25 is a four-lane undivided road between Queens and Coram. In the early 1970's, there was a plan to widen NY 25 through Village of the Branch (Smithtown). However, the plan ran into opposition when 200-year-old trees and Revolutionary-War era houses along the route were threatened.

Northern Boulevard, North Hempstead Turnpike, Main Street, Fort Salonga Road, Saint Johnsland Road, North Country Road, Route 25A, Parker Road

LOCATION: Queens-Nassau border to Calverton (at NY 25)
NOTES: Multiplexed with NY 25 for 1.5 miles in Smithtown. Unitl the 1940's, NY 25A extended east along the now-unmarked Sound Avenue between Wading River and Mattituck. In the mid-1960's, there were plans to convert the NY 25A corridor from Queens to central Suffolk into a six-lane expressway (using part of the current alignment for NY 347). In 1997, a long-proposed bypass of the Rocky Point area was completed in conjunction with the NY 25A widening project between NY 347 in Mount Sinai and CR 46 in Shoreham. The new Rocky Point bypass is known as "NY 25A Bypass," while the original route is now known as "NY 25A Business." Another such bypass in the Setauket-Port Jefferson area has been proposed since the 1960's, but no work has been done on this route, which runs mostly south of, and parallel to, the LIRR Port Jefferson branch. Nevertheless, NYSDOT still owns the right-of-way for the proposed NY 25A "Setauket Bypass."

Hillside Avenue

LOCATION: Queens-Nassau border to Old Westbury (at NY 25)

SECRET DESIGNATION
(Union Turnpike Extension, Marcus Avenue)

LOCATION: Queens-Nassau border to New Hyde Park (at NY 25)
NOTES: NY 25C signs were removed from Union Turnpike in 1972. However, NY 25C lives on as an unposted route for a 0.7-mile segment between the Queens-Nassau border and New Hyde Park Road, complete with NY 25C NYSDOT reference markers. Signs and traffic signals along the unsigned NY 25C segment are maintained by the NYSDOT. Marcus Avenue, the former Nassau CR 25C, is maintained by the Nassau County DPW.

NO LONGER ASSIGNED
(Nassau Boulevard, Power House Road)

LOCATION: Queens-Nassau border to East Hills (at Glen Cove Road)
NOTES: The old Nassau Boulevard and Power House Road ran along the right-of-way for the Long Island Expressway. When the expressway was completed through the area in 1958, the NY 25D designation was replaced with the NY 24 (later NY 495 and I-495) designation.

Sunrise Highway, County Road 39, Montauk Highway, Montauk Point State Parkway

LOCATION: Queens-Nassau border to Montauk Point
NOTES: Between Queens and West Babylon, Sunrise Highway is a four-to-six lane, divided boulevard. (This was the route of Sunrise Highway since the 1930's. At that time, NY 27 continued east along Montauk Highway thereafter.) From West Babylon east to Shinnecock Hills, Sunrise Highway becomes a six-lane expressway (reduced to four lanes in East Patchogue). After the four-lane, limited-access Sunrise Highway was canceled through the Hamptons, NY 27 was routed along CR 39 and Montauk Highway (which had always been NY 27 through much of Suffolk County until the 1950's). The final segment, Montauk Point State Parkway, is a two-lane road (not the traditional Robert Moses-style Long Island parkway).

Carmans Road, Montauk Highway

LOCATION: Massapequa Park (at NY 27) to Oakdale (at NY 27, EXIT 47)
NOTES: Until the 1940's, the NY 27A designation extended west along Merrick Road to Rockville Centre (at NY 27-Sunrise Highway). Until the mid-1980's, the NY 27A designation extended east along Montauk Highway between Oakdale and Southampton. This segment was replaced with CR 85 (between Oakdale and Patchogue) and CR 80 (between Patchogue and Southampton). (The CR 80 and CR 85 sections have actually been maintained by Suffolk County since 1967.)

Port Washington Boulevard, Middle Neck Road

LOCATION: Manhasset (at NY 25A) to Sands Point
NOTES: The NY 101 designation may have been given to the unbuilt Western Nassau Expressway between Port Washington and the South Shore, via the LIRR Oyster Bay and West Hempstead branches.

Front Street

LOCATION: West Hempstead to East Meadow
NOTES: NY 102 serves as a bypass for Hempstead Turnpike (NY 24).

NO LONGER ASSIGNED
(Rockaway Boulevard, Rockaway Turnpike)

LOCATION: South Jamaica (at NY 27) to Atlantic Beach (at Atlantic Beach Bridge)
NOTES: The NY 104 designation was removed in 1935 when the US 104 designation was added upstate. (US 104 became the current NY 104 in 1972.)

Jerusalem Avenue

LOCATION: North Bellmore (at NY 106) to Massapequa (at NY 107)
NOTES: The segment of Jerusalem Avenue between Hempstead and North Bellmore (west of the current NY 105 terminus) was designated CR 105 until the Nassau County route system was eliminated in the early 1970's.

Newbridge Road, North Broadway, Jericho-Oyster Bay Road, Pine Hollow Road, South Street

LOCATION: North Bellmore (at NY 105) to Oyster Bay
NOTES: In Hicksville and Jericho, NY 106 with multiplexed with NY 107 along North Broadway. Until 1972, NY 106 extended south of NY 105 to Merrick Road (Nassau CR 27A) in Bellmore.

Massapequa-Hicksville Road, Broadway, North Broadway, Cedar Swamp Road, Glen Cove Arterial Highway

LOCATION: Massapequa (at Merrick Road) to Glen Cove (at City Hall)
NOTES: The northernmost one-mile segment of NY 107, the Glen Cove Arterial Highway, appears to have limited-access aspirations. In the mid-1960's, this segment was constructed as a bypass of Glen Street.

Harbor Road

LOCATION: Cold Spring Harbor (between NY 25A and Suffolk CR 11-Woodbury Road)
NOTES: The 1.5-mile-long NY 108 is the shortest signed New York State road on Long Island.

Fulton Street, Babylon-Farmingdale Road

LOCATION: Farmingdale (at NY 24) to Babylon (at NY 27A)
NOTES: NY 109 is four-lane divided throughout its entire length.

Broadway, Broad Hollow Road, Walt Whitman Road, New York Avenue

LOCATION: Amityville (at NY 27A) to Halesite
NOTES: NY 110 was widened from a two-lane road to a four-lane divided highway in the mid-1950's. In South Huntington and Melville, NY 110 was sent along a new ("Broad Hollow") alignment. In the late 1980's, NY 110 was widened to six lanes in Melville and East Farmingdale. Over the years, there have also been plans to convert NY 110 to a six-lane expressway, flanked by northbound and southbound service roads.

Islip Avenue, Joshua's Path, Wheeler Road, Town Line Road, Hauppauge Road

LOCATION: Islip (at NY 27A) to Smithtown (at NY 25 and NY 25A)
NOTES: For many years, NY 111 was the designation for Carleton Avenue between East Islip and Hauppauge, while CR 17 was assigned to Islip Avenue. The alignments for NY 111 and CR 17 were switched in 1972. Further north, NY 111 is multiplexed with CR 76 for one block along the Town Line Road segment in Hauppauge (near Hauppauge High School). In the mid-1960's, the NYSDPW proposed a four-lane divided arterial highway, partially on new alignment, for NY 111. Rights-of-way for this plan were obtained near the northern terminus in Smithtown, where the route was straightened (but never widened).

Medford Avenue, Medford Road, Port Jefferson-Patchogue Road

LOCATION: Patchogue (at NY 27A-CR 80) to Port Jefferson Station (at NY 25A)
NOTES: According to Daniel T. Dey, NY 112 was known as "Patchogue Stage Road" in the 19th century and early 20th century. This name was given because of the many stagecoaches that brought passengers from the Port Jefferson ferry terminal to theatres in Patchogue. In addition, the Medford Avenue segment in Patchogue served as the southern part of the Port Jefferson-to-Patchogue "Bicycle Path."

NO LONGER ASSIGNED
(Quogue-Riverhead Road)

LOCATION: Quogue (at NY 27A-CR 80) to Riverhead (at NY 24)
NOTES: The NY 113 designation was replaced by Suffolk CR 104 in 1972.

East Hampton-Sag Harbor Turnpike, South Ferry Road, North Ferry Road, Bridge Street, Clinton Avenue, Third Street

LOCATION: East Hampton (at NY 27) to Greenport (at NY 25)
NOTES: The route of NY 114 is interrupted twice by water. Two ferries connect Shelter Island with Greenport to the north, and with North Haven to the south. In 1957, the Suffolk County Planning Department proposed to the New York State DPW that NY 114 be widened into a divided, four-lane arterial highway. The plan included replacing the ferries with bridges connecting Shelter Island to Greenport and North Haven. The proposed four-lane NY 114 highway was to be constructed along a new alignment.

NO LONGER ASSIGNED
(Wantagh Avenue)

LOCATION: Wantagh (at NY 27) to Levittown (at NY 24)
NOTES: North of Hempstead Turnpike (NY 24), Wantagh Avenue continued as CR 189 to its northern terminus at NY 107. South of Sunrise Highway, Wantagh Avenue continued as Nassau CR 122 to its southern terminus. The NY 115 designation, along with the Nassau County route designations, were removed in 1972.

Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway

LOCATION: Seaford (at EXIT 1-Merrick Road) to Syosset (at EXIT 14-NY 25)
NOTES: The original plans called for an extension of NY 135 north to NY 106 in Oyster Bay. In addition, the expressway was to have served as the southern approach for the Oyster Bay-Rye Bridge. Upon its construction, the expressway was to have been redesignated I-287.

Babylon-Northport Expressway, Deer Park Avenue

LOCATION: Babylon (at NY 27A) to Dix Hills (at Northern State Parkway-CR 35-CR 66 intersection.
NOTES: The NY 231 designation was assigned in 1970 to the just-completed two-mile segment of the Babylon-Northport Expressway, as well as to Deer Park Avenue (which until then had been CR 35). The designation along Deer Park Avenue was only meant to be temporary, while the remainder of the Babylon-Northport Expressway was to have been NY 231 once it was completed. Community opposition killed the expressway extension proposal in the early 1980's.

NO LONGER ASSIGNED
(Parker Road)

LOCATION: Wading River (at NY 25A) to Calverton (at NY 25)
NOTES: This segment of Parker Road is now the alignment for NY 25A between Wading River and Calverton. The NY 254 designation, along with the NY 25A designation along Sound Avenue east to Mattituck, were killed by the late 1940's.

NO LONGER ASSIGNED
(Carmans Road)

LOCATION: Massapequa Park (between NY 27 and NY 27A-Merrick Road)
NOTES: This segment of Carmans Road is now the alignment for NY 27A between Sunrise Highway and Merrick Road in Massapequa Park. The NY 276 designation was killed by the late 1940's.

Veterans Memorial Highway, Smithtown Bypass, Nesconset Highway

LOCATION: Hauppague (at Northern State Parkway) to Mount Sinai (at NY 25A)
NOTES: Smithtown Bypass and Nesconset Highway, originally constructed by Suffolk County in the 1950's, was redesignated NY 347 in 1966. At that time, New York State unveiled an ambitious plan to upgrade NY 347 into the six-lane North Shore Expressway, complete with service roads. A "Hauppague Spur" was to have connected NY 347 with the Long Island Expressway. Both plans were killed by 1973. In 1977, the NY 347 designation was extended two miles west along Veterans Memorial Highway -- multiplexed with NY 454 -- to the Northern State Parkway.

Veterans Memorial Highway

LOCATION: Commack (at NY 25) to Holbrook (at NY 27, EXIT 51)
NOTES: This four-lane highway was constructed in the late 1940's by Suffolk County. The highway was redesignated from CR 78 to NY 454 in 1966. In 1970, the Nassau-Suffolk Regional Planning Board recommended conversion of NY 454 into a six-lane expressway with flanking service roads.

NO LONGER ASSIGNED
(Long Island Expressway)

LOCATION: Queens-Nassau border to Riverhead
NOTES: The LIE was designated NY 495 east of the Clearview Expressway between 1962 and 1983. In the fall of 1983, thanks to the efforts of U.S. Senators Al D'Amato and Pat Moynihan, the LIE became I-495 throughout its entire length. Nearly 20 years later, there are still old NY 495 directional signs posted on connecting roads in Nassau and Suffolk counties.

PROPOSED
(Setauket Bypass)

LOCATION: Setauket (at NY 25A and Bennetts Road) to Port Jefferson Station (at intersection of NY 25A and NY 112)
NOTES: Proposed in the 1960's by New York State, the Setauket Bypass was designed to avoid congestion along NY 25A in Setauket, East Setauket and Port Jefferson. The NYSDOT still owns the right-of-way for the Seatuket Bypass. The NY 532 designation -- which had been a "secret" designation -- was revealed in the 1988 Hagstrom Suffolk County Atlas. The proposed route has not been shown since then.

Nassau Expressway, Atlantic Beach Bridge

LOCATION: Woodmere (at Rockaway Turnpike) to Atlantic Beach (at Park Street)
NOTES: In Nassau County, the Nassau Expressway is not really an "expressway," but rather a four-lane, at-grade boulevard. After four decades as nothing more than a dotted line, it was constructed as a "compromise" solution in the late 1980's. The Nassau County segment of NY 878 is separated from the Queens segment by the unsigned Rockaway Boulevard in Queens, and Rockaway Turnpike in Nassau County. Only the Nassau segment of the expressway has both reassurance shields and NYSDOT reference markers, both of which display the correct NY 878 designation. However, this "floating" segment does not touch any numbered road.

SECRET DESIGNATION
(Greenvale-Glen Cove Road)

LOCATION: Greenvale (at Glen Cove Avenue) to Glen Head (at NY 107)
NOTES: NY 904 is a four-lane divided highway connecting Glen Cove Road and NY 107. Although this segment has no reassurance shields, it has NY 904 NYSDOT reference markers. Even one of the street signs along the route reads not "Greenvale-Glen Cove Road," but "Route 904."

STATE AND US ROADS IN THE NYC METRO AREA:

New York State route shields by Jim Poserina. Primary information provided by Hagstrom Nassau County and Suffolk County atlases. Additional information by Daniel T. Dey. Additional graphics by Daniel Faigin.

Google
 
Web nycroads.com